Thursday, June 6, 2013

Every Moment Counts

Last week as we walked arm and arm alongside our beautiful children in the dirt, dodging the mud holes and the cattle, we talked and laughed. Deep joy filled me as these girls laughed and giggled holding me like I would fade away and all I wanted was to be able to give them EVERYTHING! If only I could give them the world! But honestly my heart breaks as I battle within myself with my own weaknesses. I often wonder; God will Kylee and I even have enough money make it through next month?  Is there enough for us and all of these girls, Daddy? I laugh at my own inadequacy as I am reminded even now about God’s faithfulness and His promises. “Don’t worry about these things, saying what will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear? These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else and live righteously and he will give you everything you need.” (Matthew 6: 31-33) It’s still a fight, a constant battle, but the Father is saying, “The victory has already been won, so do not be afraid!”

As we come to a stop at the end of the road all the girls stand silent around me, staring, hoping that we aren’t going to leave, and usually at this point we stay for at least ten minutes continuing to love on each of them. Today one of the little girls, probably around 8 or 9, seemed oddly sad. I knelt down to look her in the eyes and she lowered her eyes even further. “What is wrong? Are you ok?” I asked but she didn’t reply. I turned to one of the older girls and asked her if she knew what was wrong with her. The older girl said, “The teacher shaved a chuck of her hair off today because her mother couldn’t pay for her head to be shaved and that is a rule!” Immediately I turned to her and saw the chuck of hair missing. My heart broke! What shame to put on a child that she has to publically walk around with a chuck of her hair shaved in representation of the poverty at home! I was so upset and even after I went home that night I could not get her off my mind. I laid in bed thinking and praying for this child and by the time I fell asleep I had decided that if I saw her next week I would take her to get her haircut.

For a week I thought about her, waiting with anticipation for our next class together. Finally the day arrived and about mid-way into class I caught eyes with her! There she was! My heart leapt and I smiled at her. After class Kylee and I, with interpretation from our Kenyan leaders, asked her if we could take her to get her a haircut. She nodded and smiled as her eyes lit up.
When we finally arrived at the barber shop we ended up having three little girls with us, in whom all got their haircuts! We had so much fun and seeing how happy and excited these children were to receive haircuts filled us with joy! After haircuts we said goodbye too two of the girl and then bought the little one a pair of flip flops as we had noticed she was barefoot. By the time this little one got home she was all smiles and hugged us tightly as she whispered, “I love you,” in our ears.

After struggling all week with the lie of not having enough and continuing to long to give, finally my love for these precious girls won out over the worry for my own life and we gave! God does not ask us to worry, instead he asks us to trust him in everything and give even if we have nothing. Even if all I have is the change in my wallet I will continue to obey and give, and my heart will rejoice and be glad!

Haircuts are vital for the children of Kenya for two reasons:
#1 - Prevention from lice
#2-  Keeps them out of trouble

And the good news is…..

It only cost 36 CENTS (U.S)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment